Tragacanth Gum Herb (Gond Katira) Uses and Health Benefits
Discover the uses, health benefits and dosage of an amazing herb Tragacanth which is obtained from the sap of legumes plant.
Are you suffering from any sexual insufficiency? Are you facing dreadful ailments like heat strokes, constipation or tumor?
Do you want to enlarge your breast size? If your acknowledgment to any of the above questions is ‘yes’ then you arrived at correct destination and ‘Gond Katira’ is the very answer to all your queries.
In addition to being an herbal drug in Ayurveda, Gond Katira finds its applications in cooking industry, textiles, paper manufacturing and what not.
Moreover, if you are highly inquisitive in making Gond Katira drink and other products you just need to scroll down a little bit and your will find your recipe ready right there.
Tragacanth gum or Gond katira comes from a shrub which is mostly found in Mid East, Iraq, and Iran and even in western Asia.Iran produces an enormous quantity of Gond Katira.
It is a tree gum just like any of myrrh but is less common in products than other gums, such as guar gum or gum arabic.
It is because most Gond Katira is grown in Mid-Eastern countries which have poor trade relations with countries where the gum is to be used.
Cultivation of tragacanth plants has not proved economically worthwhile in the west as other gums can be utilized for such endeavors.
It comes from some Astragalus species, but the species which produces the best quality gum is Astragalus Gummifer which is also its botanical name.
Now, the question that pokes us is that how to obtain Gond Katira from the plant. So, the answer is gum emanate naturally from the roots as well as from incisions made in the stem(below ground level down to 5 cm).This is collected and then dried to forms crystals of flakes. They may be formed into blocks as well.
You may get misapprehend that you have never eaten gum Tragacanth before, but the veracity is that you have taken it as an additive with E number as ‘E 413’in food industry. The plant is a member off abaca which is originally a pea family.
Other Names Of Tragacanth Gum:
Botanical nomenclature: Astragalus Gummifer.
Scientific nomenclature:Cochlospermum religiosum.
Names in different languages:
- English – Tragacanth gum
- Hindi – Gond katira
- German -Kutira Gummi
- French – Gomme Adragante
- Arabic – Katheera, Haloosiyaa
- Bengali- Katila
The name ‘Tragacanth gum’ is procured from two words Tragos and Akantha. Elucidation of these two words is “goat” and “thorn”, respectively in Greek.Apart from having different names in different languages, there are some familiar names too.
- Dragon gum
- Gum Elect
- Ela-imbue-Kini Hi Riya
- Quattro Shiraz gum
- Goat’s thorn
Properties And Applications Of Tragacanth Gum:
Gum tragacanth is a viscous water-soluble mixture of polysaccharides (thus including high protein).
In the dry state, it does not stick to itself the same way other gums do. It is tasteless and odorless.No doubt, bandwidth of the uses and applications of Gond Katira is very broad.
- It is used as an Herbal Medicine in Ayurveda. It contains an alkaloid that serves as an herbal remedy for dreadful conditions such as diarrhea and cough.
- It is utilized as a paste in modern treatment for burns.
- It has been shown recently that it can suppress tumors and stimulate the immune system.
- Mostly Gond katira is used in drinks, processed cheese, salad coverings, food dressings and different puddings being both tasty and having amazing cooling properties.
- The beneficial Gond katira drink thus provides a sort of solace to our body. Also, in the field of foods, it works as stabilizer, texture additive and emulsifier. As a thickener in sauces, confections, salad coverings, ice cream, etc.
- Also used as a thickening agent in preparing dyes for calico printing, textile dyes, for dressing fabrics, in making glues, for water colors and to produce the gloss in ink.
- Gond Katira is also utilized as the traditional binder. It is frequently used in the making of pastels of an artist thanks to its property of not sticking to itself on being dry like other gums (such as gum arabic).
- To grip all the powdered herbs in collaboration, it is also used in incense making as a binder.
- Last but not the least, as a binder, it also finds its use in paper manufacturing.
- Gond Katira is used as an edge slicking plus a polishing compound in veg-tanned leatherworking, in textiles as a stiffener.
- Not only this, but it is also used in the cosmetics industry and as a culture medium in laboratories, etc.
- Tragacanth gum is also utilized in making a paste used in floral sugarcraft to produce life-like flowers on wires which are used as decorations for cakes.
- It also makes a paste which dries in the air (too brittle) and can apprehend colorings. So, it enables you to obtain the required fineness and delicate finishing your work.
Health Benefits Of Gond Katira:
Although Tragacanth gum has a very wide area of applications, it can be utilized as a thickening agent as well as a binder and even stabilizer and in industries like paper making, cosmetics, textile industry and so on but if there is something in it for which it is famous in masses are its numerous health comforts.
The advantages are pure and so worth noting. The only requirement is to keep patience while taking Ayurveda treatment as you will see remarkable changes with the passage of time.
It behaves as a cooling agent inside the body and thus prevents us from heat stroke.
It is very advantageous in problems like constipation because it has the properties of purgative.
• Weakness In Men
It acts as an effective remedy for weakness and any sexual inadequacy in men.
• Small Breasts
Beneficial for women who want to increase their breast size as it does by daily dosage.
• Pregnant Women
Ladoos made of Gond Katira prove instrumental during pregnancy stage.
• Urinary Lewdness
It has fantastic results against Urinary incontinence or involuntary urination.
• It is believed that Gond Katira could suppress tumor and stimulate the immune system.
• It has been used as a modern treatment for burn and applied in the form of a paste.
• It is also utilized as an herbal cure for drastic conditions like a cough and diarrhea.
Now you know the benefits and uses of Gond Katira. You can also try the benefits of this herb by buying online at following link: Buy Online Gond Katira